Custom Search

Social Bookmarks
Bookmark to: Digg Bookmark to: Bookmark to: Facebook Bookmark to: Mr. Wong Bookmark to: Webnews Bookmark to: Icio Bookmark to: Oneview Bookmark to: Linkarena
Bookmark to: Favoriten Bookmark to: Seekxl Bookmark to: Favit Bookmark to: Linksilo Bookmark to: Readster Bookmark to: Folkd Bookmark to: Yigg Bookmark to: Reddit
Bookmark to: StumbleUpon Bookmark to: Slashdot Bookmark to: Furl Bookmark to: Blinklist Bookmark to: Technorati Bookmark to: Newsvine Bookmark to: Blinkbits

Welcome - Worldwide directory of special forces and government agencies
Your Online Source for info on Special Warfare and counter-terrorism Units!


LA Special Enforcement

Sacramento County Sheriff's Department SED

WA County Tactical Negotiations Team

WA County Tactical Negotiations Team

First established in 1976, the Washington County, Oregon Tactical Negotiations Team (TNT) is a highly trained tactical unit, which is activated to deal with extremely hazardous situations where conventional police tactics and equipment are inadequate or too dangerous for the situation. The team is a multi-agency unit with members drawn from several law enforcement agencies throughout the county. The team consists of officers and deputies from the Beaverton, and Hillsboro Police Departments, and the Washington County Sheriff's Office. Officers and Deputies assigned to the team do so as a secondary assignment, with their primary assignments ranging from Patrol to Investigations.

The mission of the team is to attempt resolution of dangerous incidents utilizing their specialized training and equipment with the least amount of force. Its primary focus is to ensure the safety of victims and bystanders in the vicinity of dangerous incidents. Incident types include:

  • Hostage situations
  • Armed suicidal subjects
  • Clandestine drug lab responses
  • Barricaded wanted subjects
  • High-risk warrant service

    During operations the team makes use of a wide variety of specialized equipment. Some of this equipment includes chemical agents, less lethal munitions, various firearms, and an armored vehicle known as "The Boar". The team also recently added specially trained emergency services personnel to assist with emergency medical treatment during training and callouts. Deputies and officers wishing to be assigned to the team must be in excellent physical condition and perform well in their primary duty assignment.

    The team currently averages approximately 25 callouts per year. One of their more recent incidents occurred on November 14, 2002 when the TNT assisted the Vancouver Police Department and the FBI by taking two suspected bank robbers into custody. On the afternoon of Thursday, November 14, 2002 Vancouver Police and FBI agents were investigating a bank robbery that occurred in Vancouver on Wednesday November 13, 2002. Their investigation led them to the Clermont Apartments located at 1801 NW 143 rd. Ave. When the officers learned that the alleged suspects had barricaded themselves inside their apartment they called the TNT for assistance in resolving the situation. Shortly after their arrival, members of the team were able to talk the two suspects into complying with their commands and coming out peacefully. Both suspects were taken into custody and held on unrelated charges.

    Another recent callout took place January 5, 2003, when Forest Grove Police officers were called to investigate a report of an armed man making suicidal threats. The responding officers found the man barricaded in the bedroom of his home. The subject brandished a handgun at them and threatened to shoot the officers if they did not leave. The officers also observed a shotgun and a rifle in the room. The officers retreated from the residence and called for assistance from the Tactical Negotiation Team (TNT).

    Upon arrival at the scene, TNT members immediately formed a security perimeter around the suspect's home. The situation escalated when the suspect, who had been randomly firing shots from inside the house, began to target individual officers. With the suspect having fired more than 30 rounds at officers the and surrounding residences, the decision was made to call "The Boar" armored vehicle in. Unfortunately, at that time, it was not known if "The Boar" could sustain damage from high caliber rifle rounds. Team members placed ballistic shields over the vehicles windows for added protection. Sgt. Marshall and Corporal Grady Nelson then drove "The Boar" into the gunfire in an effort to distract the suspect and draw his fire away from the surrounding homes.

    With "The Boar" advancing on his position, the suspect came out of his home aiming a handgun and rifle at the officers. He then ignored repeated commands to surrender his weapons and continued to challenge the officers to kill him. He then fired the rifle at the officers. Officer Hanlon returned fire, but suffered a weapons malfunction. The suspect fired again, and Sgt. Kisor moved from his position of safety, and fired one round at the suspect, killing him.